Rice is a love around Half Baked Land…and we have made our fair share. We have super easy Mexican rice, cheesy rice and a cilantro lime rice…but this green rice is a new must make.
So why make another rice recipe when I already have so many? Well you can really never have too many rice recipes, especially when they are this good. It is the combo of a classic red mexican rice and a light cilantro rice all made into one green rice.
There is a little surprise about this rice though that will get some veggies on your kids plates (the big & small ones)…there is spinach in the rice but no one will ever know. Yep you read that right there is spinach in the rice, along with some other yummies as well…cilantro, garlic, chili powder and to make it even a little healthier it is all made with brown rice.
Ok I know you be thinking MJ has lost her mind but truly this rice is so, so good, and even better no one will ever know they are eating spinach…I mean talk about the best sneak veggies into dinner ever!!
If brown rice is not your thing use white rice, just make sure to reduce the cooking time by 5 or 10 minutes…white rice always cooks faster.
Take rice to the next level while adding some veggies to your plate…but trust me I won’t tell!!
Mexican Green Rice
Rice seasoned with all your favorite mexican flavors and a few surprises making a new favorite that everyone is sure to love...but don't worry I won't tell there are veggies in there
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped with seeds & ribs removed
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups fat free chicken stock
- Fresh cilantro for topping
- In a food processor blend together spinach, cilantro, chopped jalapeño & garlic until it forms a paste
- In a large saucepan heta olive oil over medium heat
- Stri in rice, chili powder, salt, cumin & pepper until rice starts to toast, about 4-5 minutes, making sure to stir often
- Stir in chicken stock and spinach paste until well combined
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover
- Let cook for 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender
- Fluff and sprinkle fresh chopped cilantro
- Serve & ENJOY!
- Nutritional Info
- Calories 220
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0g
- Saturated Fat 0.8g
- Trans Fat 0.0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 564mg
- Potassium 205mg
- Total Carbohydrates 38.1g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2g
- Sugars 0.6g
- Protein 6.1g
- Vitamin A 21% - Vitamin C 7% - Calcium 3% - Iron 9%
- Nutrition Grade B+
The Half Baked Life http://www.thehalfbakedlife.com/
Happy (half) Baked Life – MJ