The weather is cooling down and in my house that means lots of soups, creamy casseroles and delicious slow cooker recipes (at least more than in the summer), but with these recipes comes the need for the Cream of Whatever soups. I am not a fan of those soups and the strange bits of whatever that are floating around in them so I decided it was time to move on from the can and make it myself. The first cream soup I attempted is Cream of Chicken and I have say I am very pleased and will be making this in bulk and saving it for when I need it this fall and winter.
I love that I know everything that is this fantastic soup and there are no surprise anything’s pooping-up. It also so easy and delicious. You can add in little bits of chicken if you would like, but for me I just wanted a creamy base.
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
Homemade cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a medium saucepan cook chicken stock for 15 minutes over medium heat to reduce a little
- In a small bowl combine milk, flour, basil & pepper
- Add in flour mixture and whisk until combined and no lumps remain
- Let mixture come to a boil, whisking occasionally, for 10-15 minutes until thick and creamy
- Let cool and store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks
- Each serving, about 1/2 cup, is 5 WW+ points
- Calories: 177 Total Fat: 1.6 g Saturated Fat: 0.5 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 1.9 mg
- Sodium: 103 mg Total Carbs: 31 g Dietary Fiber: 1.1 g Sugars: 4.8 g Protein: 10.1 g
The Half Baked Life http://www.thehalfbakedlife.com/
Stay tuned for other cream of something’s soups as we work our way through fall.
Happy (half) Baked Day – MJ